Someone at work brought in some homegrown Cherry Tomatoes… and they were yummy.
I wish I had grown some this year. I decided not to plant any, which was a mistake, because I miss having little Cherry Tomatoes to snack on when I’m in the garden.
Things I learnt:
– I have to plant them in the ground earlier.
– One thing I noticed this year was that the cutting from one of my tomato plants grew a lot bigger and healthier than the mother plant. I wonder if I should just plant one plant and take cuttings from it next year… hmmm?
– I won’t plant Great White Tomato next year, because I didn’t like it that much. I’ll concentrate on Brandywine, a cherry tomato and Roma.
I noticed that the Tri-Color Variegata Peppers has fruits. Yeay!
I planted the “forgotten” Lettuce and Swiss Chard grown from seed to the edge of the vegetable bed near the Cucumbers. I also planted a “forgotten” Brandywine OTV Tomato in an empty space in the other bed. I really doubt if it will produce fruits, but I felt bad for not planting it sooner.
I transplanted the “forgotten” Perillas–Large Leaf Korean Perilla ( photo ) and Tia To Vietnamese Perilla ( photo )–into larger pots, so they can grow a little larger before I plant them either in the vegetable bed, or in a Coleus pot.
This evening, I cooked a simple Filipino dish called Adobong Kangkong for dinner. As I was preparing the Kangkong (Water Spinach), I decided to save some to see if it would root.
I did some research and was surprised to discovered that Kangkong is a member of the Ipomoea genus along with Morning Glories and Sweet Potatoes.
I took a half day off and left work a bit early. I just needed to take care of a lot of things, because I know I won’t have much time this weekend because of another Filipino Fiesta in San Francisco.
Before going home I stopped by Mid-City Nursery and got three plants.
– Coleus ‘Show & Tell?’ (I don’t think the sticker on the container was correct)
– Coleus ‘Burnt Sienna?’ (I’m not sure if the tag on this plant was correct)
– Heuchera ‘Amber Waves’
I didn’t get home until about 7:45pm, but there was still a little bit of light outside, so I repotted some of my seedlings into one-gallon containers until I have my vegetable beds ready. I hope they will at least grow a bit bigger while I fix up the beds.
I repotted two each of the Burgundywine, Roma and Great White Tomatoes into their own pots… and two Scarlet Chinese Eggplant (4 total) into 2 one-gallon pots. I was also going to repot the Japanese Long Eggplants into their own pot, but I ran out, so I have to look for more and maybe do that tomorrow.
I also chopped down more of the Swiss Chard and cleared half of vegetable bed #1. By this time it was already dark and I was gardening by a citronella candle light.
I also noticed that we are not getting enough browns in our compost, so I need to shred some newspaper and use those as browns.
Before going to bed, I got the urge to do some planting… so, I:
1. I repotted the 2 small pots of Great Quaking Ornamental Grass into larger pots.
2. I repotted the Zygocactus cutting which have sprouted new leaves/stems into a larger pot.
I’m still disappointed by the sad looking Tomato, Eggplant, etc. seedlings, so I thought I would try an experiment. I wondered how the tomatoes would do if I took cuttings of them.
I cut them down, dipped the bottom ends into rooting hormone and planted them into a half potting soil/half perlite mixture. About 2 inches of the stems were placed in the soil. I then watered and covered them with a cut up plastic water bottle to act as a mini greenhouse.
Yesterday, I added an extension to the shelves in my room. The shelves I have are part of the IVAR storage system from Ikea. I’ve had them in my old apartment, and had to scale it down when I moved back home (I have a smaller room here). Luckily, I saved the extra side unit and shelves, and expanded my current setup. Now it looks huge, but at least I have room to setup my new grow lights.
Which reminds me… The ‘Brandywine OTV’ and ‘Great White’Tomatoes have sprouted. I think the ‘William Guiness’ Columbine is sprouting too, but I can’t quite tell if it is or if it’s moldy. I also noticed that some pine nuts that I found and planted are emerging. Yeay!
And to top it off, the White Genoa Fig and Arguta Kiwi scions that I placed in cup of water are starting to bud.