Wednesday, July 5, 2006
After the mortared veggie bed has dried, I started breaking up the hard clay soil and added compost, steer manure, soil conditioner, potting soil and fertilizer to about a third of the bed. I didn’t have time to do the whole bed, since I had to dig up some Bearded Iris that hasn’t been divided in I-don’t-know-how-many years.
This is the clay I had to break up
Here’s a third of the bed after amending it. I didn’t finish until about 9pm; that’s why the photo looks dark.
Thursday, July 6, 2006
I staked in a trellis and planted Lemon Cucumber and Swiss Chard in the newly prepared veggie bed. Again, I didn’t finish until about 9pm; that’s why the photo looks dark.
My back and muscles now are sore!