I was able to catch up on some repotting today. I repotted the Arguta Kiwi (female), White Genoa Fig, Forsythia and some Taros into larger one gallon containers.
I also repotted my Pink Echeveria, and discovered that the grower didn’t even remove the plastic basket it was originally grown in. I had to cut the basket into pieces so I wouldn’t damage its roots and the baby plants. Here’s the before and after photos.
Here’s a photo of the vegetable bed I been working on.
And finally, as I was done with most of my gardening chores, I got a bag a potato chips and Calli kept chasing me around the garden trying to get some. I gave her a few, but ened up giving her some doggie snacks. Here she is one the other side of the vegetable bed.
Before I left for work, I did something really stupid… I picked up the mini-greenhouse with the Columbine seeds by the plastic cover… and the bottom part fell off. Vermiculite and Columbine seeds was scattered all over. I tried to scoop all that I can, but they are now all mixed up. Luckily, this wasn’t the mini-greenhouse with the seeds that lblanchard gave me. Those are all fine.
After work, I gave the Tri-Color Variegata Pepper that I dug up last year and overwintered some TLC. It has started to grow more leaves and a few flowers. I left all the peppers on the plant when I dug it up and they dried up. Some apparently dispersed some seeds, because there was baby Pepper plants at the Mom’s base. I dug these up and potted them up.
I also trimmed the dead branches and collected the dried peppers. If any of you want some, drop me a line and I can send you some.
I repotted two of the ornamental grasses (Carex sp. + Blue Fescue ) ( photo ) that I grew from seeds into one-gallon containers.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
My Mom has been telling me that the 99¢ grafted Cactus that I bought on Saturday has, been in full bloom. Whenever I take a look all the flowers are closed. Today, I woke up late and I finally got to see the open flowers during daylight.
My Euphorbia obesa ( photo ) and Pink Echevaria ( photo ) now have flower buds and should be flowering soon.
After work, I passed by Home Depot and found two succulent leaves ( photo ) on the floor, so I had to save them. I’m not quite sure want plants they are, but I’m going to see if they will grow.
I made more newspaper pots and planted four kind of Asian vegetables: Chin-Chiang Cabbage “Hybird Summer Boy”, Misome Japanese Greens, Upo (Bottle Gourd) and Komatsuna “Hybrid Senposai”.
I know the Upo is probably too late to plant, but I want to see how it grows. I’ll make sure to plant is early next year.
As I was planting (at 9pm), I can smell the scent of our Dama de Noche plant. I think it’s called Night Flowering Jasmine in English. It is very fragrant and reminds me of Hawaiian leis.
Speaking of Asian vegetables, I harvested another eggplant and my mom made this Filipino dish called Pinakbet
Some of the ingredients include: Japanese Eggplant, Ampalaya (Bitter Melon), Sitaw (Yardlong Bean), Tomato, Garlic, Bagoong (Tiny Fermented Shrimp) plus more. It may look like a weird dish, but it’s good :)
I also found some Ginger rhizomes growing, so I placed them on a moist paper towel and placed it in a plastic bag. Hopefully it will grow roots and I will be able to grow it.
One last photo… My Pink Echevaria at work only has one flower left.