Gardening on the Last Weekend in August

Saturday, I cleaned up the square where I previously planted the four Fun Jen Bok Choy that was attacked by some digging critter.

Four Red Winter Kale Planted

In its place, I planted four Red Winter Kale plants and placed wire edging around it to try to deter whatever critter did the digging last time.

Bok Choy 'Fun Jen' Potted Up

I then decided not to plant some of the other Fen Jen Bok Choy in the square foot garden bed and planted four in a large Daiso pot.

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Tricolor' Potted

The Tricolor Hydrangea that I recently purchased looked like it need to be potted up, so I did that, placing it in a 3-4 gallon pot. I also moved it over to a more shaded area.

My Aunt and Cousins came over and I gave them some Red Giant Mustard and a cutting from both my Santa Barbara Red Dragonfruit and the Dragonfruit that I grew many years ago.

Dragonfruit Progress

Now that I see my old Dragonfruit plant getting bigger and bigger, I really need to figure out where to plant them. I initially thought of planting it by a pole in the front yard, but I noticed the Santa Barbara Dragonfruit in that area gets too much sun and is getting bleached out, so I need to fine a more shaded location.

Unknown Succulent

As I was cleaning an area under our Bosc Pear tree, I noticed a multi-stem succulent that was growing there, it started rooting but was still able to pull it up. I thought it would look nice if it were properly planted into a pot and given more light. So I planted it into a 3 gallon pot. I didn’t know what it was, so I posted a query with a photo of it to Flickr and Instagram and some responded that it was a Sedum praealtum.

I noticed that the Bromeliads that I purchased back in June (2016) are doing well.

Neoregelia 'Lucky ???'

The Aechmea recurvata of them actually has two pups now.

Aechmea recurvata

I moved the Echeveria ‘Chroma’ from the front yard where I thought I may get attached by slugs and snails to the back to join all my other succulents.

Echeveria 'Chroma' Blooming

I took six cuttings from a broken Iresine branch and also potted up a little Spearmint cutting.

Iresine and Spearmint Cuttings

It was already dark Sunday evening and I ended my gardening by potting up a Masdevallia barlaeana ‘Harold’ that was still in a 2-inch pot into a hanging Orchid basket.

Masdevallia barlaeana 'Harold'

Unknown Bromeliad Solved…

Bromeliad Pot

A few days ago, I divided my Bromeliad pot and there were 4 varieties:
– a green Vriesea Bromeliad
– a red Vriesea Bromeliad
– a yellow Aechmea recurvata var. recurvata Bromeliad (that was dead)
– an unknown toothed leaf Bromeliad with long leaves

I don’t remember planting the fourth one on the list, so I looked for historical photos when I planted this pot and found this photo, which shows that I only planted three varieties:

Potted Bromeliads

After reviewing the photos of the individual plants, I noticed that the Aechmea recurvata var. recurvata had a little baby plant:

Aechmea recurvata var. recurvata

I think the mystery Bromeliad is actually the baby Aechmea recurvata var. recurvata… which explains the toothed edged leaves.


It’s really interesting how the new plant is green instead of yellow and the leaves are a lot longer. I wonder if growing under a shade caused this.

Dividing the Bromeliad Pot…

Today, I decided to divide my Bromeliad pot that contained 4 types of Bromeliads and a mystery plant that has grown about 4 feet tall. One of the yellow Bromeliads (Aechemea recurvata v. recurvata) died, but the other three are pretty healthy.

Bromeliads and Mystery Plant

Click more to see the repotted Bromeliads

Continue reading